Close this search box.

May 9, 1930

The Diary of Evelyn Forrest’s Trip to Palestine
Friday, May 9, 1930
Edinburg, Scotland

May 9, 1930 diary entryMay 9, 1930 Diary EntryHad another fire this morning for it was still cold. After breakfast at 9:30, we went for a walk to the castle; from there one has a good view of the city. There were many things of interest at the castle, especially the room in which Mary Queen of Scots gave birth to James, who later became James I, King of England and who gave to the English speaking world the King James Version of the Bible. This room with the prayer of John Knox for the infant remains as it was the day he was born.

1:00 p.m. Left Edinburg for Glasgow arriving there at 2:02 p. m. After seeing our baggage safely deposited in the George Hotel, we started out to find Paisley and the mail from home. Went out by bus; it was not a long ride. Found the Lindsey home at 134 Lockfield Rd. without any difficulty. May 9, 1930 diary entryThey live in a very pretty new suburb. The houses are built mostly in flats with very attractive yards—filled with flowers, evergreens, and rock garden plants in full bloom. Mrs. Lindsey and the two children James and Neal were the only ones at home. Mr. Lindsey and his two sisters were at work. We arranged to go return tomorrow about 2 or 2:30 to see them.

The mail was a shock, two letters from Lorene, a card from Edward Gilmer, an Easter card from Matilda, and a cable from Kelly announcing the death and burial of Father Forrest on April 14. Mother has gone to Chicago. We cannot understand why they waited so long to let us know. Leaving Paisley we went at once to Bells Hill to see if we could find Theresa’s grandmother and Aunt Margaret. The grandmother, Mrs. Bullock had moved to 33 Gleeb Street. She was happy to see us and wanted to make tea but we declined for we had already enjoyed “high tea” with Mrs. Lindsey.

Mrs. Bullock took us to see Aunt Margaret. Her husband has been out of work for months and Aunt Margaret is supporting the family by her leather handcraft work. She gave us a purse to take to Theresa. When we reached the hotel it was about 8:30 p.m. and we were very tired. Immediately after dinner, we went to bed.