Close this search box.

February 3 & 4, 1930

The Diary of Evelyn Forrest’s Trip to Palestine
February 3, 1930
Toccoa, Georgia

3:30 p.m. The train pulled out on time with a happy crowd of students, teachers, and friends at the station waving goodbye. Reached Greenville, South Carolina 5:15 p.m. Richard sent the first telegrams back home.

6:00 p.m. Had a wonderful dinner on train—broiled lamb steak.

9:30 p.m. Said goodbye to train crew who have been so kind.


February 4, 1930

7:15 a.m. Had a good night’s rest and was almost ready to leave the dressing room before any other ladies appeared.

8:30 a.m. Breakfast in the Washington, D.C. Union station dining room. Out in the rain: “Singing in the Rain. Yes! I know what that means now. Two hours of it in Washington, D.C. Visited the office of the Chief of the Passport Division of the USA, Mrs. Shipley and also Mr. Sutton and Judge Syle of the Federal Radio Commission and Congressman Bell.

Left on the 11:10 a.m. train for Phila. Arrived 1:20 p.m. and had another experience of “Singing in the Rain.” Had the thrill of walking through the Public Bldg. and eating lunch at Dennet’s old stand, ½ doz. fries.

Called on Sallie Greer in Wauawachers. Called on Roy Tabor in his office. Took 4:39 p.m. train for Media.

Media, Pa. 5:30 p.m. Emma and Elizabeth met us at the train. Still “Singing in the Rain.” More of it. Saw Mother, Chas. And Laura and Lillian Drennen. They were just ready to sit down to supper so we ate a lamb chop with them. Then went back to Emma’s and had supper with them. All four at home: Errett and Emma, Elizabeth and Robert. Just as we finished eating Roy and Nell Tabor arrived. They drove us to West Pa. To connect with the train for New York at 9:00 p.m. Now it was Richard’s time to “sing in the rain” and rumble seat. It certainly was a wild ride but we arrived just in time.

11:30 p.m. arrived in the “big city” New York. Soon we were fast asleep in one of the Lincoln’s comfortable beds.

February 4, 1930 diary entryFebruary 4, 1930 diary entry